Well you can't make mince pies without mincemeat, and what's the point of home making mince pies if you don't make the mincemeat too? :) So here's a recipe from the Hairy Bikers, tweaked a little to add a bit more spark :)
1 lemon, boiled and deseeded
1 lime, boiled and deseeded
1/2 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
100g mixed dried fruit
75g mixed peel
100g dark sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Boil and deseed the lemon and lime.
2. Add all dried fruit to a mixer, except the currents.
3. Add chopped apple to mixer.
4. Add cut lemon and lime to mixer.
5. Blend until all bigger pieces are mushed up (yes, that's a technical term).
6. Add in suet, sugar and currants and stir.
7. Mix in the sherry.
8. Mix and leave overnight to soak before using.
Perfect for mince pies :)
10 months ago