Well it's Halloween tomorrow, so I thought I'd try out making braic. I looked at a few recipes and in the end made one up myself to incorporate some of my favourites. This one has a lemony kick to it, is moist and has a bit of crunch to it.
225g self raising flour
200g rich dark brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
50g flaked almonds
50g chopped walnuts
55g chopped glacé cherries
55g chopped mixed peel
1 large egg
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Make the tea in a large bowl, add zest of 1/4 lemon.
2. Weigh out raisins, sultanas and currents.
3. Soak this fruit in the tea overnight.
4. In a large mixing bowl, put the flour.
5. Add the brown sugar and nutmeg.
6. Add the nuts.
7. Add the cherries and mixed peel.
8. Add the zest of 3/4 a lemon.
9. Make a well in the dry mix.
10. Add in beaten egg and tea mix.
11. Beat all the ingredients together.
12. Grease a tin and pour in cake mix.
13. Bake in an oven at 180 degrees Celcius for 45 minutes. To check if it's done, stick a skewer in and it should come out clean.
It's traditional to add in a ring, simply wrap a ring in greaseproof paper and add to the mix before you pour it into the tin to bake. The lucky person who gets the ring in their slice is said to get married that year!
6 months ago