Having seen fondant icing used on many a cake decorating show, and hearing the many, many ways in which it could go wrong, I was terrified! But I was determined to at least give it a go, and shockingly it worked out okay!
2lb Icing Sugar (1 3/4 lb for chocolate + 1/4 lb cocoa)
1/4 cup Water
1 tbsp Unflavoured Gelatine
1/2 cup Liquid Glucose
1 1/2 tbsp Glycerine
1 tsp Vanilla (or your preferred flavouring!)
01. Add gelatine to warm water and dissolve over a low heat.
02. Add glucose and glycerine and stir until all combined.
03. Add flavouring (here vanilla!)
04. Add colouring at this stage if you want the entire batch in the one colour, ignore this stage if you want white fondant, or are planning to do a lot of colours.
05. Transfer to a bowl, and start to stir in the icing sugar slowly, a little at a time until all is combined.
06. When the icing is too tough to stir by spatula, start to kneed by hand, using either cornstarch or icing sugar to get rid of the stickiness.
07. Continue to kneed until it can be made into a ball with none sticking to your hands!
08. Cover in cling film and refrigerate overnight in an airtight container.
This fondant will keep for about 3 or 4 days in the fridge, or a month in the freezer. Remove from fridge a couple of hours before you plan to use it!