I needed a cake recipe that would hold up under the weight of the fondant, that would be able to be carved into shape, but also taste good :) after some searching online, found a Chocolate Mud Cake recipe that would work. I made two cakes, the one shown below, which became the base, and a smaller but thicker one for carving the shapes.
250g Unsalted Butter
1 1/3 cup Warm Water
1 cup Golden Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Instant Coffee
1/4 cup Cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
01. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
02. Add chocolate, butter, water, cocoa and coffee to a saucepan.
03. Heat over low heat and stir until the mix is smooth.
04. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
05. Add in the sugar and dissolve.
06. Beat the eggs with the vanilla while the mix cools.
07. Transfer the mix to a bowl.
08. Add the flour and beat until smooth.
09. Add in egg mix and beat until smooth again.
10. Line a baking tin in greaseproof or parchment paper and pour in the mix.
12. Bake for 60 – 90 minutes until cooked through.
13. Leave to cool, then place in the fridge overnight.