I never knew how difficult it was to make pasta, until this challenge forced me to give it a go. I actually attempted three pastas, the other two were a total disaster, and so here is the one I used in the final recipe.
Part 2 : Pasta
450g (1lb) 00 flour
4 medium sized eggs
01. Put the flour in a large bowl, and make a well in it.
02. Crack the eggs into the middle of the well.
03. Add the salt.
04. Slowly work the flour into the eggs until the dough comes together.
05. Knead the dough for 10 mins, until smooth, silky and very elastic (when you poke it, it comes back up).
06. Wrap the dough in cling film.
07. Rest the dough at room temperature for 45 mins to 3 hours.
08. Cut off a small piece of dough, flatten a little.
09. Roll the dough through a pasta machine, starting with the highest roll and moving down to the lowest.
10. Hang the dough to dry out over an appropriate surface (I used my clothes horse).
When the dough is dry, it can be stored in an airtight container until you're ready to use it.
2 months ago