11 September 2008

Store Cupboard Scones

So, had the urge to bake today to curb a bad mood, and I love the smell of freshly baked scones (not to mention the taste). Looked around online for a good recipe, and in the end combined a few together to get this one. I liked the fact that I could make them from only ingredients that I already had, and didn't need any that weren't in my cupboards/fridge on a day to day basis. I used golden syrup instead of sugar as it kept the scones moister. :)

Ingredients :

250g 00 flour (plain will do, but for self raising leave out baking powder)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
75g softened butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
140ml semi-skimmed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Method :

Preheat fan oven to 200 degrees

1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

2. Whisk all wet ingredients together in another bowl until smooth.

3. Pour wet ingredients into dry and bring together with hands.

Note : if you use a food processor or over work the ingredients you're scones will be flat and hard!

4. Tip dough onto a floured surface and roll to about 2cm thick.

5. Cut out with a pastry cutter, in any shape you wish.

6. Place in parchment paper on a baking tray.


7. Brush the top of each scone with a little milk.

8. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

9. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire tray.


Serve with butter, jam, cream or any filling you like! I had mine with butter and tea, they were soft and fluffy inside, but still moist, and a little crunchy on the outside. I think next time I make them I'll add some fruit for an extra kick.

Possible Variations :

1. For wholemeal scones use 100g plain flour and 150g wholemeal flour.

2. Add in 100g fruit, such as raisins, blueberries, raspberries or grated apple.

No comments: