26 November 2010

Mother Sauce 2 : Revenge of the Splitting Hollandaise

For some reason, I got it into my head that I wanted to make Hollandaise. So using the ever faithful Alton Brown's recipe from the Good Eats episode Hittin' The Sauce from Season 8, I dived in, perhaps to my detriment. I think I would like to master all of the "Mother Sauces", but I think I've had enough of them for another few months.

 

Ingredients :

4 small egg yolks
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp sugar
125g butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Method :

01. Whisk egg and water in a bowl until smooth, about 30 seconds, and place over some simmering water in a pot. Do not allow the bottom of the bowl touch the water.



02. Add in the sugar and continue to whisk over the simmering water, until it becomes lighter in colour, about 3 to 5 minutes. Don't stop whisking.


03. Remove from the heat.

04. Beat in the butter, one cube at a time. If there is not enough residual heat, place back over simmering water for a moment.



05. When the last of the butter is whisked into the emulsion, add the salt, pepper and lemon juice, and whisk in.


06. Serve immediately over your dish :)


Unfortunately, I didn't go far enough on step 2, and had my heat too high on my simmering water, resulting in a splitting sauce. But, you live and learn!

I enjoyed mine over baked salmon, you could also serve it over poached eggs to make Eggs Benedict.

No comments: