So after seeing an episode of Good Eats on chilli, I knew I wanted to try it out. However, it was not without problems. For one, I don't yet own a pressure cooker, or even a pot with a tight fitting lid. The other problem was that I vastly underestimated the amount of chile and chile powder that I needed, and so it was not hot at all... A baby could have eaten it, it was so mild. But, spiciness aside, it was damn delicious :) Next time - more spice, more spice, more spice!
1 small tin kidney beans
1 small tin chick peas
1 onion, chopped
300g stewing beef
1 tin tomatoes
1 tbsp chile powder (I would suggest using 2 tbsp)
1 tsp cumin
1 beef stock cube (made into 1 pint stock)
1 cm red chile (Again, I'd suggest using 2 whole chiles, chopped finely)
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 jar sun dried tomatoe pesto
01. Fry onion until softening.
02. Add garlic and chile, and fry for 1 min.
03. Add tomatoes, cook until thickens slightly.
04. Set this aside.
05. In the same pan, brown the beef.
06. Set beef aside.
07. Add a little stock to pan, scrape up the "burnt bits" into the stock.
08. Add the rest of the stock and the beef.
09. Add in kidney beans and chick peas.
10. Add in tomatoe mix from earlier.
11. Stir and simmer for 10 mins with no lid.
12. Add tomatoe pesto.
13. Cook with tight lid for 45 mins.
Serve on baked potato, in wraps, with salad, with rice or even pasta!
10 months ago